Adult Safeguarding Day took place on Friday November 11, 2022.
The event is an initiative of Safeguarding Ireland – and supported by the HSE – in partnership with a wide reach of organisations across the health, social, financial and justice sectors.
The aim is to raise a greater awareness and understanding of safeguarding with respect to 1) preventing adult abuse and 2) responding to adult abuse.
Read the NEWS RELEASE here.
What is Safeguarding?
Safeguarding means putting measures in place to uphold our rights, to support our health and wellbeing, to reduce our risk of harm – and to empower us to protect ourselves.
Safeguarding involves ourselves, our families, services and professionals all working together to prevent and respond to adult abuse, neglect or coercive control.
Safeguarding means empowerment – that if we face challenges with our capacity, ability or independence our decisions are supported and respected.
Online Seminar, Thurs Nov 10th, 2 to 4.30pm
Hidden Abuse and Adult Safeguarding – online webinar presentation and discussion co-hosted by Safeguarding Ireland and the HSE National Safeguarding Office.
The seminar took place from 2-4.30pm on the afternoon of Thursday 10th November and included a number of interesting speakers and topics, and the opportunity to ask questions during a panel discussion.
Prevent Adult Abuse – Support Decision-Making
- Prevent Adult Abuse – respect my right to decide
- Prevent Adult Abuse – making my own decisions safeguards me
- Prevent Adult Abuse – respect my choices on how I live my life.
Respond to Adult Abuse – report immediate risk or concerns
- Respond to Adult Abuse – report an immediate risk of harm. Call the Gardaí at 999 or 112
- Respond to Adult Abuse – lift the lid on your concern
Contact your local HSE Safeguarding Team www.hse.ie/safeguarding
- Have you a safeguarding concern?
An immediate risk of harm – the Gardaí / An ongoing concern – your local HSE Safeguarding Team.
The materials include:
- Videos – four new public information videos
- An eight page information booklet
- Posters – two versions in A4
- Social Media images for Facebook / Twitter and Instagram / Linkedin
- The campaign Hashtag is #safeguardingday22.
SAFEGUARDING: Prevent Adult Abuse – Decision-Making.
SAFEGUARDING: Respond to Adult Abuse – the HSE.
SAFEGUARDING: Respond to Adult Abuse – the Gardaí.
SAFEGUARDING: Future Structures – An Independent Safeguarding Authority.
Booklet and Posters
Twitter / Facebook Images
Instagram / Linkedin Images
Safeguarding Ireland encouraged organisations to use the campaign as an opportunity for awareness raising events. These may involve:
- A public information stand, or display
- Leaflets available in public places / posters on display / wearing the badge
- Posting videos or photos on social media with the tag – #safeguardingday22
- Sharing with colleagues and in newsletters.
2021 Safeguarding Information Videos
What is Adult Safeguarding
Type of Adult Abuse
Safeguarding Adults with Disabilities
Planning Ahead – Financial
Planning Ahead – Healthcare
Financial Abuse – Banking
Financial Abuse – Money and Budgeting